On the evening of August 15, 1946, thirteen people gathered in the home of E.F. Hallblade to officially organize the Alexandria Mission Covenant Church. They soon purchased a lot on the corner of 13th and Fillmore for a church building. Ground breaking ceremonies were held on October 13, 1946, with Peter Engstrom, the oldest member of the congregation, turning the first spade of earth. The building in Le Grande Township was moved to the site and the first service held there was on Thanksgiving Day, November 28, 1946, with the church being officially dedicated in February 1947.
Rev. Herbert Nelson moved to Alexandria with his family in October 1946 to become the church’s first pastor. Nineteen more people were accepted as charter members between September 1946 and January 1947.
Significant chapters in the church’s life include purchasing and moving to the First English Lutheran Church building, building a parsonage in 1948 and building a Sunday School addition and new narthex in 1968 and 1969. In 1973 the congregation purchased a 50 acre parcel of land on Dakota Street, then in 1979 moved into a new 11,000 square foot building on our present site. In 1994 the church added a 20,000 square foot expansion, which was completed in 1995 including new offices, a library, fireside room and our current Family Life Center. In 2005 we completed a 25,000 square foot expansion, which includes a new 600 seat Worship Center, Fellowship Center, additional classrooms, and remodel of our current facility.
Most importantly, however, have been the lives of children, youth and adults that have been transformed over the years by the good news of Jesus Christ. Since 1946, God has empowered the people and pastors of Alexandria Covenant Church to share the good news of Jesus with countless friends and neighbors through Sunday School classes, Vacation Bible School and faithful preaching from God's Word. God has also led us to pray together, lead youth groups, care for the sick and the needy, send and support missionaries, share laughter and tears, and serve as ambassadors for Christ in homes, schools and workplaces. Through it all, God has worked through us to raise up generations who whole heartedly follow Jesus.